Monday, October 20, 2008

Mundine steps into Calzaghe uppercut

TWO-TIME super-middleweight world champ Anthony Mundine has challenged Joe Calzaghe to step into the ring after the Welsh pug launched a scorching assessment of the Australian in this month's Inside Sport. Calzaghe, who is set to retire after his superbout with Roy Jones jnr next month, tells the magazine: "So what would happen to Mundine? To cut a long story short boxing video, I'd knock him out. He wouldn't admit that because he's got a big mouth, but of course I'd knock him out. If I couldn't knock him out, I'd be pretty disappointed. I mean, Sven Ottke knocked him out and he couldn't break an egg." Mundine returned serve when this column read him the remarks yesterday. "My management has been trying to set up a fight with him for two-and-a-half years - and he won't give me a shot," Mundine said. "What has he got to hide? Instead, he's too busy fighting old men. If he's so confident, he should fight me."

FULL ARTICLE