Monday, October 20, 2008

Boxing: Rees returns with something to prove

FORMER world champion Gavin Rees has revealed he will finally return to the ring as part of the bill for Joe Calzaghe’s November superfight with Roy Jones Jnr.
And the talented light welterweight has promised to eradicate the complacency and poor attitude that cost him his belt seven months ago, insisting he has got his hunger for boxing back.
Previously undefeated in 27 bouts, Rees has not fought since he lost his WBA title to Andreas Kotelnik back in March. But a deal has now been brokered to allow him to fight against American Frankie Figueroa on Calzaghe’s undercard out in New York on November 8.
Rees is adamant he will grab the opportunity with both hands. And, admitting he was not taking his boxing career as seriously as he should have in the past, he has pledged to come back better than ever.
“I really feel I will come back a better fighter now,” he said. “As soon as I lost, I got straight back in the gym and I immediately thought about getting my world title back.
“I wasn’t giving this sport my all before. But I owe it to myself to do it properly and get in the best shape possible.
“I have got a hunger to prove myself now. And there are a lot of doubters I need to prove wrong as well.”
He continued: “Before Kotelnik, I hadn’t lost a fight in 13 years and I just got complacent. I took things quite easy and I paid the price for it.
“I just thought I could walk through people. So maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I lost because my head just wasn’t right.

FULL ARTICLE